Whakataukī: Wisdom, Guidance, and Lessons


Why Whakataukī?

As I’ve share more about Whakataukī Among the Stars, I’ve found myself wanting to speak clearly about why whakataukī sit at the heart of these stories.

The simple answer is this: living in New Zealand, and learning te reo Māori, stirred in me a desire to learn more. Not in a shallow way. Not as ornament. Not as something to borrow because it sounds beautiful on the page, though it certainly is beautiful. It began, rather, with the growing understanding that language carries worldview, and that wisdom lives inside words far longer than most of us do.

Whakataukī drew me in because they endure. They are concise, but never small. They hold history, challenge, warning, observation, and care. They are not simply clever sayings. They ask something of the listener. And that matters to me as a writer.

I am not Māori, and I do not claim to be.

The books are not an attempt to speak for Māori voices, traditions, or experiences, nor to reinterpret them through a speculative lens as if they were mine to reshape. They are, instead, an act of listening — imperfect, human, and offered with care.

That distinction matters. It should matter.

Whakataukī endure because they are not neat answers tied up with ribbon. They are challenges. They ask the listener to pause, to consider intent, to examine the shape of their actions rather than the tidy story they might prefer to tell about themselves. Science fiction, for all its imagination, is sometimes very good at inventing new worlds and rather less good at asking how we arrive in them — and what we carry with us when we do.

That is where these proverbs felt so powerful to me.

These stories were written from a place of respect for the wisdom embedded in whakataukī — wisdom forged through relationship with land, community, memory, and consequence. I have approached each proverb not as a decorative theme to pin to a science-fiction plot, but as a question to sit with.

What does this proverb demand of a future human society?

What happens if we ignore it?

What happens if we listen too late?

Those questions are old. They are also, I suspect, eternal.

Science fiction has always been a mirror at its best. It reflects not only where we might go, but who we already are. By placing whakataukī alongside imagined futures, I hoped to explore how ancient challenges persist even among starships, broken worlds, orbital stations, and distant planets. Humility still matters. Restraint still matters. Collective responsibility still matters. Respect still matters. No amount of machinery makes those things obsolete.

If anything, advanced technology makes them more urgent.

A tool, after all, only magnifies the hand that holds it. That’s true whether the tool is a spade, a law, an algorithm, or a fusion engine humming somewhere beyond the edge of a dying moon. The moral question remains much the same: what kind of people are we becoming, and what do we owe one another?

That is the ground these stories walk on.

I know there is risk in any act of interpretation. I know good intentions are not magic, and respect does not excuse error. So I want to say this plainly: any mistakes in interpretation are mine alone. Any insight belongs to the whakataukī themselves.

My hope is not to stand in front of these words, but to stand beside them long enough to let them cast light into the story. And more than that, I hope this collection might encourage readers to seek out the original voices, histories, and living contexts from which these proverbs come. To listen more carefully. To tread more gently. To understand that wisdom is not a relic of the past, but a living thing, and that some truths remain sharp no matter how far into the future we travel.

These words appear as introductions in the books because they are part of the foundation. They help frame not only the story, but the moral space around it. They ask the reader to step in with thoughtfulness. To notice. To weigh. To consider.

 ‘Kua takoto te mānuka. Ko te mea nui, me pēhea tātou e anga whakamua ai.’

“The challenge has been laid down. What matters is how we move forward.”

 

— Rebecca

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Whakataukī Among the Stars

Story Spotlight (Volume I): Ministry of Excellent Ideas

Welcome to My Writing World