Where the Stories Walk In
As I have stepped away from the next volume of Whakataukī Among the Stars for a little while, I thought I’d spend some time talking about the writing itself.
Not the polished bit. Not the
tidy version where everything sounds planned, sensible, and faintly impressive.
The real bit.
The messy, magical,
occasionally coffee-fueled process behind the stories. An ideas rarely arrive
politely.
They do not knock on the door,
wipe their feet, and say, “Good morning, I am the plot for your next story.”
That would be helpful, so naturally they refuse to do it.
More often, they creep up while
I am doing something else. Making coffee. Washing dishes. Trying to sleep.
Walking.
Especially walking.
For me, long walks are not just
exercise, though I suppose they do technically involve moving the legs and
therefore count. They are where the mind loosens its stays. Thoughts that have
been sitting stiffly in rows begin to wander about, bump into each other, start
arguments, and occasionally form something useful.
Some of my strongest ideas have
come from walking through the red zone.
There is a particular kind of
silence there.
Not empty silence. Not peaceful
silence, exactly. More like a held breath.
The land remembers.
You walk past places where
homes once stood, where gardens were planted, where people hung washing, argued
over fences, burnt toast, lost keys, raised children, grew old, and probably
complained about rates because some things are universal. Then the ground
changed the rules. Streets remained, but the life they carried was altered.
Driveways led nowhere. Trees stood beside gaps. Paths continued with the
strange politeness of things that had not been told they were no longer needed.
It is a broken landscape, but
not a dead one.
That matters.
Because desolation is never the
whole story.
There are places in the red
zone where nature has not so much returned as cleared its throat and said,
“Right, you’ve had your turn.” Grass pushes through cracks. Birds move through
the quiet. Wildflowers appear where lawns once behaved themselves. Trees lean
over empty sections as if reading the ground. The land does not forget what
happened, but neither does it lie down and become only ruin.
That tension fascinates me.
Loss and renewal standing in
the same frame.
A broken path with new growth
at its edges.
A place where people are gone,
but memory remains.
That is where stories begin for
me. Not with a neat idea, but with a feeling I cannot quite shake. A landscape
that asks a question. A silence that seems to contain voices. A place that
says, “Look again.”
And I do.
I look at a cracked road and think of a colony built on unstable ground, the inhabitants pretending everything is fine because humans are very good at putting curtains over terror. I see an empty section and imagine a planet where the houses have been moved but the ghosts refuse to update their addresses. I watch grass reclaim a boundary line and wonder what happens when nature, or ancestry, or memory, decides that ownership was always a much more complicated story than the paperwork suggested.
That is how a walk becomes a
story.
Not all at once. Never neatly.
The first spark is usually small and inconvenient. A sentence. An image. A
question. A mood. Something like:
What if the land remembered
everyone who had ever stood on it?
What if a city could grieve?
What if renewal was not gentle?
What if the thing coming back
was older than the people who thought they owned the place?
There it is. Trouble. Lovely,
dreadful trouble. The writer’s favourite weather.
The red zone reminds me that
landscapes are never just backgrounds. They are characters. They carry history.
They shape behaviour. They hold wounds. They grow strange things in the cracks.
That idea turns up again and
again in my writing. In space, on moons, inside ships, beneath domes, among
alien ruins, around stubborn little settlements clinging to the dark. I might
move the setting far from Earth, dress it in stars, give it impossible weather
and technology with far too many blinking lights, but the emotional root often
begins somewhere much closer.
A walk. A broken road. A quiet
field where houses used to be.
Science fiction is wonderful
for that. It lets you take something deeply human and move it sideways. You can
write about grief by inventing a planet that mourns. You can write about
displacement by building a colony over bones. You can write about renewal by
sending moss across the hull of a dead generation ship. You can write about
memory by making a house that refuses to forget.
And somehow, because it is
happening among stars or moons or impossible machines, the truth can sneak in
without wearing its heavy boots.
That is one of the reasons I
love using whakataukī as the seed for these stories. A good whakataukī does not
simply say, “Here is the lesson, now behave yourself.” It opens a door. It
carries layers. It has weather inside it. It can be practical, sharp, tender,
funny, warning, grieving, and hopeful all at once.
A proverb gives me the
heartbeat.
The walk gives me the bones.
Then the story begins putting
on its own peculiar hat and causing problems.
And yes, the problems are
important. A story without trouble is just people having a nice sit-down, and
while I am deeply in favour of a nice sit-down in real life, fiction needs a
bit more bite. The red zone teaches that too. Nothing about broken landscapes
is tidy. Renewal is not a postcard. It is messy. It grows unevenly. It leaves
scars visible. It does not put everything back the way it was.
Nor should it.
That is something I think about
often when writing. Healing is not the same as erasing. Survival is not the
same as being unchanged. A place can be beautiful and wounded. A person can be
funny and grieving. A future can be hopeful and still carry the cost of getting
there.
Perhaps that is what keeps me
awake.
Not monsters. Not usually.
Though I am not ruling them out. There are always administrative forms, after
all.
What keeps me awake is the
question underneath the story.
What do we owe the past?
What happens when we inherit
damage?
How do we make a home in a
place that has already known loss?
Can renewal happen without
pretending the breaking never occurred?
And, most importantly for the
kind of stories I write: what do ordinary people do when the universe becomes
unreasonable?
Because that is where character
lives. Not in the grand speeches. Not in the shiny technology. Character shows
itself when the road cracks, the map fails, the door locks, the ancestor
speaks, the moon shifts, the ship sulks, or the cat eats the last ration
biscuit with the moral certainty of a tiny emperor.
People reveal themselves under
pressure.
So do places.
So do stories.
When I walk through the red
zone, I am reminded that endings are rarely clean. A job ends. A house is gone.
A street changes. A city is remade. A life turns a corner it did not expect.
But somewhere in the broken ground, something green begins its quiet work.
That is where I find ideas.
In the cracks.
In the silence.
In the places where something
has ended, but the story, inconveniently and beautifully, has not.
- - Rebecca

Comments
Post a Comment