The full Circle: Whakataukī Among the Stars: Volume IV


As I came to the end of Whakataukī Among the Stars: Volume IV, what stayed with me most was not one plot twist or one favourite character, but the feeling of it. This is a book with warmth in its hands and steel in its spine. It is hopeful, yes, but never soft-headed about the cost of survival. It is funny in the way people are funny when life is hard and humour is part defiance, part kindness, part keeping the lights on.

If I had to put a rating on it, I’d call it 4 out of 4 stars for heart, ambition, and sheer emotional honesty.

What stood out to me most in this volume is the way the stories keep asking difficult questions without pretending there are neat answers. Again and again, these pieces return to memory, responsibility, community, grief, repair, and the stubborn human habit of trying to build shelter for one another even in impossible places. Some stories are playful and odd in the best way. Others carry a real ache. A few left me properly winded. That balance matters to me. I never wanted this series to be science fiction in a cold, shiny sense. I wanted it to feel inhabited. Lived in. A little battered. Capable of laughter and consequence in the same breath.

I also think this is the strongest the series has been at letting the whakataukī do real work. They are not decorations here. They press on the characters. They expose them. They ask something of them, and, I hope, of the reader too.

That said, this book will not be for everyone. If you want hard military action with no pause for reflection, or very plot-driven science fiction that races from explosion to explosion, this probably is not your book. These stories are more interested in people than machinery, in moral weight than spectacle, and in the long echo of a choice after the dramatic moment has passed. They take their time where it counts.

If I have one honest criticism, it’s that a few stories lean so fully into reflection and emotional aftermath that readers wanting a faster, sharper pace all the way through may feel that pull. But for me, that is also part of the book’s character. It lingers. It doesn’t always rush to tidy the room after the argument. Sometimes it leaves you sitting with the mess on purpose.

More than anything, I wanted this volume to feel human. Not perfect. Human. Curious, frightened, brave, ridiculous, loving, guilty, hopeful. If readers close the book feeling a little more tender, a little more unsettled, and a little more willing to listen carefully to the wisdom inside the whakataukī, then I think it has done its job.

And now, with Volume IV released into the world, I’m already looking ahead to Volume V of Whakataukī Among the Stars. If this book is about what survives, what is revealed, and what must be carried honestly, the next one will take that conversation further. I’m very excited to share where the series goes next.

— Rebecca

Rebecca Vardy on Amazon

Stories, stars, strange futures, and a little mischief between the galaxies.

QR code linking to Rebecca Vardy's Amazon Author Page

Visit Rebecca Vardy’s Amazon Author Page

Whakahoki Press

Visit Whakahoki Press on Facebook

QR code for Whakahoki Press Facebook page

Scan to visit Whakahoki Press on Facebook

Rebecca Among the Stars

Visit Rebecca Among the Stars on Facebook

QR code for Rebecca Among the Stars Facebook page

Scan to visit Rebecca Among the Stars on Facebook

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Whakataukī Among the Stars

Story Spotlight (Volume I): Ministry of Excellent Ideas

Welcome to My Writing World