Hard Work Does Not Always Pay Off
Talent helps, imagination
certainly helps, and having a brain that insists on inventing conversations
between people who do not exist is probably useful, but writing itself improves
through practice, patience and a considerable amount of stubbornness.
You learn by writing something
that does not work, trying to understand why it does not work, changing it,
reading it again and occasionally wondering who on earth wrote such nonsense
before remembering, rather inconveniently, that it was you.
That is part of the process,
and I think what surprises many people when they first imagine becoming a
writer is just how much work exists behind the finished book.
The romantic picture is rather
lovely. A writer sits beside a window with a cup of tea, gazes thoughtfully
into the distance and waits for inspiration to arrive before producing several
beautiful pages.
There are days when writing
does feel a little like that, although several beautiful pages may be
stretching things and one reasonably good paragraph is sometimes cause for
celebration.
Most of the work lies
elsewhere, in research, planning, rewriting, editing, checking continuity,
removing things you once thought were brilliant, putting some of them back,
moving chapters around, changing names, discovering that a character somehow
knows something they have not yet been told, and trying to work out why the
person who was standing beside the door on page seventy-three is suddenly
sitting at the table on page seventy-four.
Once the book is written,
another education begins, because there are covers to create, manuscripts to
format, descriptions to write, keywords to choose, publishing platforms to
understand, blogs to maintain, websites to build, social media to feed and readers
to find.
Then comes the strange
experience of releasing something you have worked on for months into the world
and discovering that the world is under absolutely no obligation to notice.
That may be one of the hardest
lessons in writing.
Hard Work Is Not a Guarantee
We are often told that if we
work hard enough, success will follow, and it is an appealing idea because it
makes the world feel fair.
Put in the effort and receive
the reward.
Unfortunately, creative work
does not always behave like that.
You can write a good book and
sell very few copies. You can spend hours creating a blog post that hardly
anyone reads, while something you wrote quickly one afternoon suddenly travels
far beyond the audience you expected. You can polish a story until every
sentence is doing exactly what you want it to do and still discover that
readers simply do not connect with it.
Meanwhile, another book appears
at exactly the right moment, reaches exactly the right readers and becomes
enormously successful.
That does not necessarily mean
one author worked harder than another, because timing matters, visibility
matters, marketing matters, connections matter and luck matters far more than
most of us probably like to admit.
Readers are wonderfully
unpredictable, which is one of the reasons nobody can confidently manufacture
the book that everyone will suddenly decide they must read. Publishers have
tried, authors have tried, and marketing departments with far larger budgets
than mine have certainly tried.
Sometimes they succeed, and
sometimes everybody is left staring at the figures wondering what happened.
I Have Seen This in My Own
Publishing
My own books have taught me
this lesson rather effectively.
When I began publishing my
science fiction, I quickly discovered that writing the story was only one part
of the job. I could spend months developing a book, then go back through it
repeatedly, checking the story, correcting continuity, changing wording,
adjusting the cover, preparing the Kindle edition, preparing the paperback,
writing the description and finally reaching the point where I could press the
publish button.
By that stage, it feels as
though the book ought to emerge accompanied by trumpets.
Amazon, rather disappointingly,
does not provide trumpets.
The book simply appears.
Then you wait to see whether
anybody finds it.
I have put considerable work
into my Whakataukī Among the Stars books, not only in writing the
stories themselves but also in preparing them for publication and then finding
ways to introduce them to readers. I have written blog posts, created
social-media material, worked on covers, thought about descriptions, built a
website and continued looking for better ways to make the books visible.
None of that creates an
automatic audience.
Publishing a book does not mean
readers suddenly know it exists, and producing another book does not guarantee
that the previous one will somehow be discovered along the way.
That was one of the realities I
had to learn.
There is a difference between
finishing a book and finding its readers, and the second part can take much
longer than the first.
What I have also learned,
though, is that every book gives me something the previous one did not.
I understand more about
formatting than I did when I began. I know more about covers, blurbs, Amazon
listings, websites and promotion. I notice problems in manuscripts earlier, and
I am far more willing to change something when I can see that it is not working.
Perhaps most importantly, I no
longer believe that pressing publish is the finish line.
It is another beginning.
Writing Is Not a Meritocracy
This is uncomfortable to say,
but being good at something does not guarantee recognition.
There are extraordinary writers
whose books never reach large audiences, while other books become worldwide
successes despite dividing readers, critics and occasionally entire families
around the dinner table.
Publishing has always involved
a mixture of talent, persistence, opportunity, fashion and sheer chance.
Being discovered by the right
person can change a career, while an enthusiastic reader recommending a book to
another reader can begin something unexpected. A social-media post can suddenly
reach thousands of people for reasons nobody fully understands, while the post
you carefully designed to do exactly that disappears into the electronic
wilderness without so much as a polite wave.
None of this means quality does
not matter.
It matters enormously, because
if an opportunity does arrive, you want the work waiting behind it to be good
enough.
Luck may open a door, but it
helps considerably if you have remembered to bring the book with you.
— Rebecca Vardy

Comments
Post a Comment